Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lets go Racing.

Its been a while, nearly 4 months to be exact since my last race, Ironman NZ. So I thught it was time to put the body and mind into race gear again by competing at Montys Duathlon in Whakatane this past weekend.

On a very cold, but beautiful Bay of Plenty day I headed down to Whakatane with Paul from Jamis Bicycles. The 12km run - 27km Mountain Bike - 8km Run course from Whaktane to Ohope had gorgeuos scenary but some big challenges in terms of steep, rocky coastal terrain and a steep, technical Mountain Bike course. Oh did I mention I had only been on a Mountain bike for a month.

In summary the day went well. I was amongest the leaders on the first run before we went down hill, having had a calf injury early in the year this was time to be a little conservative and think about the big picture. I was on to the mountain bike after a good run in 2nd and was riding well untill the course got technical. At this point I learnt a few things about Mountain Biking.

1. It is hard work
2. You have to have an element of crazy about you.
3. Bushes make good crash pads, trees don't
4. You can't really draft
5. did i mention it was hard work.
6. Its great fun.

After spending the last hour getting up close and personal with our native flora, it was on to the final 8km run. I finished very strong with a 27 min split (fastest split) finishing 6th Overall and 4th Open Male in a time of 2hr 32 mins. So the first race is out of the way for the season and I am happy with the progress so far, it looks like the run work I have been putting in is paying off as I have seemed to turn a real corner with my running. Onward and upwards I say.

Thanks to Paul who crewed for me on the day, the team from Jamis Bikes, that new Dakota was great, Merv and Roz from Bay Canvas for your support and major sponsors ENZA Kiwifruit.

1 comment:

  1. No problems Mike. Good to see you out near the front & having fun. Those Tri's can be a little serious at times.

    ReplyDelete